JOSIP KARAKAŠ – Croatian painter, born in 1951 in Skopje where he graduated from the Graphic Department of the Academy of Art in 1980, the class of professor Rista Kalčevski. He graduated in Art History in Belgrade, the class of Professor Laza Trifunović. From 1988 to 1990 he lived in Vienna where he graduated pastel in Hofman’s studio.
He had 15 individual exhibitions in Skopje, Bitola, Belgrade, Novi Sad, Vienna, Sarajevo, Zagreb,ljubljana etc.
He has participated in over 20 group exhibitions, home and abroad.
He has won many awards:
• “Majski salon” award in Belgrade,
• “Zlatno pero”, the annual award of ULUPUDSA in1984 and 1985
• the award of the Republic Society for Culture in 1986 from the exhibition “Zlatno pero” in Belgrade
• 1987 – Diploma in graphic communications at the XXXIV AIMS – Congress – Sava Centre, Belgrade
• 1998 – the Sava Centre plaque, the exhibition of the year
• 2004 – the plaque of the Centre for Culture and Information in Skopje
He has published many essays of art criticism reviews in the area of painting and applied art forms. He has written for specialized newspapers and magazines like Književne novine, Književna reč, Vidici, Umjetnost, Nova Makedonija, etc.
Since 2003 he has lived with his family on the island of Vis, where he has founded the Association for the promotion of culture, art and cultural and natural heritage Dega Art. He is also the head of the Painting workshop Dega Art, at the Cultural Centre of the town of Vis.